Tuesday 30 December 2008

Am I a PC? Four Things I Miss About Vista After Using Apple’s OS X


December 28th, 2008 by Joanna Stern

It has been about a half a week since I started my journey discovering the world of Apple computing. I have been using the newest Macbook as my primary computer and, as many predicted, loving it. During the first few days I was so totally infatuated with learning new shortcuts and practicing what I learned that I spent way too much time with the solid- aluminum wonder. Honestly, I felt uneasy if the Macbook wasn’t in my lap.

But now I consider myself out of the honeymoon period. There are certain parts of the Apple operating system that I love and have gotten very used to. I’m so used to it that I am fairly certain I can’t call myself strictly a PC anymore. (Don’t forget, that is the question that got me started using a Mac laptop. I will address my answer to Am I a PC? in my next and final post in this series). But while I am enjoying the OS X computing experience, there are certain aspects of Microsoft Vista that I wholeheartedly miss. Below are the things I truly miss about Microsoft’s current operating system.

1. Maximizing windows
- Getting a window to be full screen in Vista is as simple as hitting the small box on the upper right hand corner of a window, but in OS X things aren’t as easy. Tapping the green plus button on the upper left hand corner will enlarge the window but won’t necessarily make it full size. When I attempt to enlarge a window I want it to take up the whole screen.

2. Resizing windows - Then in order to resize a window and make it, as I wanted it, the size of the screen, you cannot simply drag the edges from any corner of the screen. Apple only allows you to resize from the bottom right hand corner of the window. Apparently, some Apple users are so angry about this they have started a petition. One more signature added!

3. Menu bar attaches to application
- Call me a “noob,” but I cannot get used to the fact that in OS X the menu of a program is not attached to the window itself. I find this particularly peeving when I think I have selected a Window but the menu doesn’t appear. In Vista or XP, for that matter, it is very clear to see which menu bar applies to that application. On this same point, because the menu isn’t attached to the application window when you close the window it doesn’t close the entire program.

4. Working peripherals - I know this is a cliche complaint but I really have run into compatibility issues. Take the time I went to Cosi last week to transcribe an interview. I plugged in my Olympus digital recorder, only to discover that the audio refused to play. Why? The digital recorder records in WMA format. Same problem with a pair of Logitech USB headphones I have at my desk. Sure, it is something I can get over by only buying Mac compatible accessories and software, but Vista is just easier in this respect.
Microsoft Vista may have a bad rep, but I can’t be the only one that misses some aspects of the operating system. Any brave switchers willing to divulge what they may miss about Windows?

source : blog.laptopmag.com

Related Posts by Categories



0 comments:

Post a Comment